Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Shadow of His Wings - Psalm 57:1-3

Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me; my soul trusteth in Thee: yea, in the shadow of they wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. I will cry unto God most High; unto God that performeth all things for me. He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth His mercy and His truth.




 At the end of the Lord of the Rings movie, The Return of the King, after Frodo and Sam have thrown the ring of power into the fiery lava of Mount Doom. They are stranded on a rock as molten flames flow around them, overcome with exhaustion and on the verge of death. Then from the heavens enormous eagles swoop down and carry them beneath their outstretched wings to safety.  What a beautiful picture this is of God's redeeming love.  Only a Rock saves them from being overcome by the burning lava flowing around them. How many times in my life have I been lying on that same Rock on the verge of collapse while the flames of fiery trials sought to overcome me. And every time God sent His mercy and His Truth to lift me above the situation. His Word would snatch me from the clutches of Mount Doom and take me to a place of rest in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment