Friday, July 26, 2013

His Banner Over Us - Ps. 60 :4

Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of truth. Selah.


When I read this verse I am reminded of Moses when he lifted up the rod of God on Rephidim as the Israelites were battling Amalek. When the Israelites saw the Rod of God lifted up in Moses' hands, they began to triumph in the battle. When Moses tires and lowers the Rod, the enemy began to overcome the Israelites.  The word banner in verse 4 above actually means - something lifted up, a standard, a signal pole or a sign.  This verse also says he has given us a banner to be displayed because of Truth. I think that banner is Truth. Just like that Rod of God is Truth. Just like Jesus is the Truth.  Jesus said in   "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me."  I am my Beloved's and He is mine. His banner over me is love. They will know we are Christians by our love. If we can lift up a life of sacrificial love, then the enemies will be defeated in the lives of those around us. Love is not some insipid emotion. Unrelenting, sacrificial love is the most powerful thing on earth.  One of my favorite descriptions of Jesus is " The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory full of grace and truth.  When people look at our lives what do they see written on the banner? I want mine to say, "Love because of Truth."













No comments:

Post a Comment