Friday, July 19, 2013

I am Legend - John 17:26

"I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them"





There is a movie called I Am Legend with Will Smith where he sacrifices himself to cure and save an infected world.  Though not one of my favorite movies (I'm not a zombie fan,) I love the title.  As I am getting older, words like legacy and legend hold my thoughts captive.  Webster defines legend as - a story coming down from the past; one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable. Or as a person or thing that inspires legends. What will be the stories told of my life? Will there be any stories? What will I leave behind of significance. What will be my legacy? What will my life stand for? Another type of legend is on a map. It explains symbols and thus helps people find their way.  Will my life make it easier for someone to find Christ and find their way in life? David prays in Psalm 71:17-18 "O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy marvelous works. Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have declared thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to everyone that is to come." I always got so caught up in the idea that David wanted to reach his generation that I never quite noticed the "and thy power to everyone that is to come," part. David was praying to be a legend.  In John 17 Jesus prays with all his disciples one last time and says,  "I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them" (vrs.26.) "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me" (vrs.21.) Jesus desires to make us the stuff of legends -  that the world may believe.

Lord, May your words be fulfilled in my life and the lives of my children. May I truly be a Light like You that lights the hearts of men, a light that will shew the Way to a world that is lost - "that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."


No comments:

Post a Comment